Seniors and Staff Top Underclassmen in “Final Exam Game”
Charleston, S.C. – Athletic Trainer Steve Outlaw netted a last minute penalty kick goal for the Bulldog seniors and staff to give the veterans a 4-3 advantage over the underclassmen in the inaugural "Final Exam Game."
Other scorers for the seniors and staff were Angela Foyt, Miranda Johnson and Whitney Nave. The underclassmen goals were scored by Mariana Garcia, Vanessa Aponte and Ruth Leiva.
The contest was used as a farewell scrimmage for the eight graduating seniors as they finish up their last week of classes at The Citadel. The eight graduating seniors - Shanna Couch, Angela Foyt, Leah Hawkins, Miranda Johnson, Amy Loughran, Whitney Nave, Laura Serafino and Hannah Warne - have made a huge impact on the program over the last four years.
Quick Facts and Stats about the Graduating Seniors
- The eight seniors have played in a combined 476 games between 2008-2011.
- From 2001 (the inaugural season) to 2007 (seven seasons) the soccer program recorded 126 goals and 60 assists. Between 2008-11, the soccer team has netted 107 goals and 80 assists.
- The Bulldog soccer class of 2012 has been part of 25 of the 43 wins in program history.
- Between 2008-11, Citadel goalkeepers have posted a goals against average of just 2.08 as opposed to 4.26 from 2001-2007.
- The eight seniors have been part of ALL 13 Southern Conference wins in the program's 10-year history.
A Look Ahead to 2012…
The Bulldogs will enter the 2012 slate with 11 returning players, including sophomore leaders Vanessa Aponte and Mariana Garcia. The 2012 all-conference honorees accounted for 15 of the team's 26 goals and are both on pace to break the school record in goals, assists, points, shots and shots on goal. In just two seasons, Garcia has smashed the school record for game winners with nine.
The Citadel will hit the road for the first five games of the regular season before heading home for a four-game home stretch beginning on Sept. 7 against Coastal Carolina.
For more information on Bulldog soccer, find us on Twitter @CitadelWSoccer and Facebook or visit the official website of The Citadel Athletics, www.citadelsports.com.