Bulldogs Hit the Road For Crucial Conference Battle Against Davidson
Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel women's soccer team will head to Davidson, N.C., for a match against the Wildcats at Sunday at 2 p.m. on Alumni Stadium. The Bulldogs are currently 4-9-2 overall with a conference record of 2-4-1, leaving them in ninth place in the conference with just four games remaining.
The Bulldogs are coming off a Thursday afternoon Southern Conference battle against Georgia Southern on Senior Day where they were downed, 2-0, on Washington Light Infantry Field.
The loss was the first against the Eagles since 2007, and the first time the Bulldogs have been shutout in a loss since Sept. 20 when they fell to Presbyterian, 1-0.
Davidson is currently in fourth place in the conference with an overall record of 6-7-2 (4-3 in conference).
Sophomore Vanessa Aponte is coming off a game where she posted nine shots, three on goal, but was unable to find the back of the net. Mariana Garcia and Aponte have fired 50% of the team's shots this season, combining for 119 total through just 15 games.
Scouting the Opponents…
- Record vs. Davidson: 1-9
- First Meeting: Oct. 7, 2001, 10-1, Davidson
- Last Meeting: Oct. 17, 2010, 3-1, Bulldogs
- Sophomore's Vanessa Aponte and Mariana Garcia have combined for 12 of the 19 goals scored this season by the Bulldogs.
- The Bulldogs recorded their first-ever win against the Wildcats last season.
- The Citadel has outscored their opponents 15-9 in the first period of play this season, but have been outscored 16-4 in the second half.
For more information on Bulldog Soccer, find us on Twitter @CitadelWSoccer, Facebook, or visit the official website of The Citadel Athletics, www.citadelsports.com.