The Citadel Hosts Samford in the Battle of the Bulldogs on Wednesday
Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel tennis team will return to the Earle Tennis Center on Wednesday to take on Samford at 1 p.m. The Bulldogs will be looking for their first Southern Conference victory of the season.
Last Time Out
The Citadel faced two conference teams over the weekend, Wofford and Davidson, and lost both in a 6-1 decision. In the No. 1 position David Orces scored the lone point for the Dogs in both contests to extend his winning streak to four matches. The Bulldogs junior has earned a 7-4 record on the season and is 2-2 in the SoCon. In the No. 6 slot, Elliott Sperr also has grossed seven wins on the season.
The Citadel Bulldogs vs. Samford Bulldogs
Last season the Samford Bulldogs defeated The Citadel Bulldogs 6-1 to extend their all-time series record to 3-0. Orces halted a shutout for The Citadel with a victory in the No. 1 position over Carson Kadi.
Samford, the 2011 Southern Conference champions, is currently on a seven-match winning streak. The Bulldogs are 10-2 overall, 4-0 in conference action and are currently in first place in the SoCon at the midway mark of the season. The team is led by sophomore Elliot Barnwell in the No. 3 singles position. Barnwell has netted a 10-1 overall record. Junior Zac Dunkle, SoCon Player of the Week for Feb. 14, also has directed the Bulldogs with a 9-2 record. The duo of Fernando Costa and Kadi in the No. 3 doubles slot has achieved an 8-3 record on the season to lead all doubles pairs.
- The Citadel tennis team has not won a Southern Conference match since Mar. 23, 2010 in a 4-3 win over Elon.
- The Bulldogs have not won a home match at the Earle Tennis Center since Mar. 7, 2011. The win came against Case Western Reserve 6-1.
- This season The Citadel is facing six first time opponents: Benedict, Spartanburg Methodist, Coastal Georgia, Buffalo, Wisconsin-Whitewater and Oberlin.
- Head Coach Kemper Baker and Assistant Coach Oliver Reynolds were members of the Samford tennis team last season. Coach Baker was head coach of the Samford Bulldogs from 2002-2011 and Coach Reynolds was a player on the 2011 Southern Conference championship team.
- Last season Reynolds and current Citadel Bulldog James Atkinson played against each other in the No. 3 position. In doubles Reynolds faced off against current Citadel Bulldog Orces.
For more information on Bulldog tennis, find us on Twitter @CitadelSports and Facebook or visit the official website of The Citadel Athletics, www.citadelsports.com.