The Citadel Football Heads to Chattanooga to Take On the Mocs
Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel Football team will travel to Chattanooga, Tenn., to take on the No. 17 Chattanooga Mocs for their second consecutive Southern Conference road matchup of the 2011 season on Saturday, Oct. 1. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. at Finley Stadium.
The Matchup: The Citadel and Chattanooga will meet for the 45th time in the programs' histories on Saturday. The series between the Bulldogs and Mocs dates back to 1926 with Chattanooga leading the series, 26-16-2 overall and 16-5-1 when playing in Tennessee. The most recent Bulldog win in Chattanooga took place on Sept. 29, 2007 in a 41-16 Bulldog victory. That victory marked a three-game win streak for the Bulldogs against the Mocs. Since then, The Citadel has lost the last two games against Chattanooga.
Last Week: The Citadel (1-2 overall; 0-2 SoCon) is coming off a heartbreaking 18-15 overtime loss at Elon in a game that came down to field goal kicking on Sept. 24. Tied 15-15 at the end of regulation, Bulldog kicker Ryan Sellers was unable to match an Adam Schreiner 33-yard field goal when he missed one from 37 yards to end the game in overtime.
Chattanooga (2-2 overall; 0-1 SoCon) is also coming off a close conference road loss at No. 3 Appalachian State last Saturday. Ahead 6-0 with 1:55 left in the third quarter, the Moc defense blanked the Mountaineer offense, but ASU rallied to score two touchdowns, both of which were scored by the Mountaineer defense, before UTC fell in a heartbreaking finale, 14-12.
• The 2011 season marks the seventh for Head Coach Kevin Higgins at The Citadel.
• The Citadel is looking for its 478th all-time win on Saturday against Chattanooga.
• A win for the Bulldogs would make them 2-2 for the third consecutive season.
• Senior fullback Terrell Dallas remains doubtful for Saturday's matchup against the Mocs.
• The Citadel ranks first in the country in fewest yards penalized per game.
• The Citadel ranks first in the country in fewest penalties per game.
• The Citadel leads the SoCon in scoring defense and least amount of penalties.
• The Citadel has only allowed an average of 14.3 points in three games.
• Senior LB Rod Harland recorded the highest single-game total tackles in the SoCon with 14 vs. Furman.
• Senior LBs Tolu Akindele and Rod Harland lead the SoCon in tackles (31, 10.3 avg pg).
• Redshirt sophomore WR Domonic Jones blocked his third punt of the season at Elon.
• Chattanooga is the furthest distance the Bulldogs will travel this season.
• The last Bulldog SoCon road win was the last game of the season in 2010 at Samford.
Watch and Listen: Bulldog fans can listen to Saturday's live action on ESPN 910 with new "Voice of the Bulldogs" Danny Reed and color analyst Walt Nadzak or enjoy a free live audio stream of the event on Bulldog Insider found on the official website of The Citadel Athletics, www.Citadelsports.com.
More Info: For rosters, depth charts and game notes for both The Citadel Bulldogs and Chattanooga Mocs, go to www.CitadelSports.com, click on Football and then Game Day Central on the right under Team Information. For more information on tickets, call the ticket office at (843) 953-DOGS (3647). For more information on Bulldog Football, follow the Dogs on Facebook and Twitter at facebook.com/citadelsports and twitter.com/citadelfootball.