Sansom Field at Johnson Hagood Stadium
Also Read: How Johnson Hagood Stadium Came to Be
The 2010 season marked the 63rd year that The Citadel played football in the friendly confines of historic Johnson Hagood Stadium.
The Citadel played its first contest against Davidson on Oct. 16, 1948. Although the Bulldogs lost to the Wildcats in that game, 14-6, The Citadel has been quite successful in one of the Southern Conference’s largest stadiums. Entering the 2010 season, the Bulldogs have marked a 203-124-3 record.
The Citadel earned its first victory in Johnson Hagood Stadium in the 1949 season home-opener (played Oct. 8) against state rival Newberry, defeating the Indians, 14-12. The Citadel later compiled a 3-2 record that year, representing the Bulldogs’ first winning season at Johnson Hagood.
The Bulldogs recorded their 200th victory in front of The Citadel faithful at Johnson Hagood Stadium during their final home game of the 2008 season. It was a 24-21 win over Chattanooga in front of a Homecoming crowd of 14,213 on Nov. 15, 2008.
Johnson Hagood Stadium, located at the intersection of Hagood Avenue and Congress Street, just a short distance from the Ashley River and The Citadel campus, has been the site for many great Bulldog accomplishments through the years. The Citadel has gone undefeated at Johnson Hagood in five seasons (1959, 1978, 1980, 1981 and 1988) and the Bulldogs reeled off 16 consecutive victories there from 1980 to 1982.
The 21,000-seat facility has aided The Citadel in establishing itself as one of the leaders in attendance among Southern Conference schools. The Citadel has led its conference constituents 11 of the last 29 years in average attendance and 15 of the last 35 seasons. Last season, more than 73,000 fans watched Bulldog football in Johnson Hagood Stadium.
The 73,568 fans that attended The Citadel games in 2008 totaled the 19th best attendance for all of FCS football, and third largest in the Southern Conference. The Citadel faithful have kept the Bulldogs in the top-25 in national attendance for the past 12 years. In 2003, Citadel fans created one of the best attendance figures in the nation, ranking seventh nationally at the end of the season. The Citadel ranked in the top-15 six years, 2007 (15th), 2006 (12th), 2003 (7th), 2002 (11th), 2001 (12th) and 2000 (14th), while in 2008, 1998 and 1999, the Bulldogs rounded out the top-20 in average attendance.
The historic facility gained national attention during the summer of 1999 when prior crewmen from the CSS Hunley, the first submarine to sink an enemy battleship, were unearthed from underneath the stadium. The remains of the sailors from the Confederate sub were re-intered at nearby Magnolia Cemetery.
History of a different kind was made in 2001 when The Citadel opened the brand new Altman Athletic Center that is located in the South end zone. The facility features home and visitor locker rooms, officials’ room and a spacious entertainment area for members of The Citadel Brigadier Foundation.
In 2008 the West Side Tower opened its doors to The Citadel family. The Bulldogs celebrated the re-opening of the West Stands for the 2006 season. The completed project features luxury suites, club seats, a state-of-the-art press box and all the expected amenities of a modern-day facility.
The field was named Sansom Field in 2008, commemorating the loyalty and generosity of distinguished and active alumnus, William B. Sansom, ‘64.
LOCATION AND DIRECTIONS
- LOCATION: Johnson Hagood is located on Hagood Avenue approximately one-quarter mile south of The Citadel's campus.
- FROM THE WEST: Off of I-26, take Exit 219 A (Rutledge Avenue / The Citadel) ... at the bottom of the ramp, continue straight through the light on Rutledge Ave ... travel 1.2 miles and turn right on to Huger Street ... travel 0.4 miles and turn left on to Hagood Avenue ... stadium will be on your left.
- FROM THE NORTH: Take U.S. Hwy. 17 South into Charleston ... at intersection with Wendy’s, Taco Bell and McDonald’s, turn right on to Hagood Avenue ... go straight and stadium will be on your right.
- FROM THE SOUTH: Take U.S. Hwy. 17 North over the Ashley River ... take Lockwood Drive North exit ... turn left on Lockwood Drive ... road will turn right at Riley Park ... turn left on to Hagood Avenue at next stop sign ... stadium will be on your right.
TOP-15 CROWDS AT JOHNSON HAGOOD
CROWD OPPONENT DATE SCORE
23,025 Marshall Oct. 17, 1992 13-34
21,623 Furman Nov. 23, 1991 10-6
21,575 Davidson Oct. 25, 1969 34-28
21,570 Delaware Sept. 18, 1976 17-15
21,465 Presbyterian Sept. 13, 1975 21-0
21,460 William & Mary Oct. 11, 1969 14-21
20,863 Wofford Nov. 1, 2003 16-42
20,754 Navy Sept. 24, 1988 42-35
20,592 Furman Nov. 16, 1985 0-42
20,357 Furman Nov. 18, 1989 9-44
Johnson Hagood Stadium “Firsts”
vs. Davidson; Oct. 16, 1948, Davidson won, 14-6
vs. Newberry, 14-12; Oct. 8, 1949
Lucian Pinkney vs. Davidson, Oct. 16, 1948
Point After Touchdown
Hal Mapes, Davidson; Oct. 19, 1948
Davidson 7, The Citadel 6, Oct. 16, 1948
Cliff Turner, Davidson; Oct. 16, 1948
Bobby Boyd, The Citadel; Oct. 16, 1948
Run From Scrimmage
Jim Sifford, Davidson; Oct. 16, 1948
Citadel Forward Pass
Max Tedder vs. Davidson; Oct. 16, 1948