McAlister Field House

HISTORY

Originally constructed in 1939 and renovated in 1989, McAlister Field House serves as the home of The Citadel’s basketball, volleyball and wrestling programs.

The facility, which also houses the athletic department’s administrative offices, along with locker rooms for the basketball and baseball teams, has a seating capacity of 6,000. When it was built in 1939, it was referred to as “The Citadel Armory” and seated 4,500 for basketball games.

Top to bottom, McAlister Field House is one of the top arenas for its sports in the region for both participants and fans. Even though 6,000 fans can pack into McAlister Field House for a basketball game, no fan is further than 24 rows away from the court. In addition, concession stands and rest room facilities are located on both the first and second floors.

With the seats pulled back, there are three full-size basketball courts for practice. During inclement weather, The CItadel’s baseball, football, tennis and track and field teams use the facility.

The Citadel has hosted three 6,000-fan “sellout” crowds in basketball since the building’s renovation in the late 80s, including games with Duke (1989), South Carolina (1997) and Collge of Charleston (1999). In January 1998, The Citadel and McAlister Field House hosted the annual All-Academy Wrestling Championship and in the past few years has served as a site of the first two rounds of the Southern Conference Women’s Basketball Tournament. McAlister Field House has also hosted such entertainment acts as Dave Matthews, Widespread Panic, Bob Hope, Kenny Rogers and Patti LaBelle. Events that have utilized the multi-purpose building include WCW Wrestling, Charleston Cup Gymnastics Championships, Special Olympics, Moja Arts Festival, Rotary/Red Cross Roundball High School Basketball Classic and a number of high school and college commencement ceremonies.

LOCATION AND DIRECTIONS

LOCATION: 
McAlister Field House is located adjacent to the northwest corner of Summerall Field on The Citadel's campus.  It is most easily identified by the bronze Bulldog statue in the plaza out front of the Field House.

DIRECTIONS

  • From Interstate 26 Eastbound:
  • Take the Rutledge Avenue exit (219-A).
  • Follow Rutledge Avenue 1.2 miles, then turn right on Moultrie Street.
  • Follow Moultrie Street until it ends at Lesesne Gate, the main entrance to The Citadel.
  • From US 17 Southbound:
  • After crossing the Cooper River Bridge, continue 1.4 miles, then turn right onto Hagood Avenue.
  • Follow Hagood Avenue past the football stadium and enter The Citadel through the Hagood Gate . . . or if the Hagood Gate is closed, turn right onto Huger Street, turn left after one block onto Elmwood Street, then turn left after one block and enter The Citadel through Lesesne Gate.
  • From US 17 Northbound:
  • Immediately after passing the round Holiday Inn and crossing the Ashley River Bridge, exit US 17 toward the right, but stay in the exit ramp's left-hand lane until you reach the traffic light.
  • Turn left onto Lockwood Drive, continue .5 miles, and turn right onto Fishburne Street just before the baseball park.
  • Go .3 miles, then turn left at the stop sign onto Hagood Avenue.
  • Follow Hagood Avenue past the football stadium and enter The Citadel through the Hagood Gate . . . or if the Hagood Gate is closed, turn right onto Huger Street, turn left after one block onto Elmwood Street, then turn left after one block and enter The Citadel through Lesesne Gate.


SEATING AND TICKETS

  • The capacity of McAlister Field House is 6,000.  The field house has bleacher-style, plastic benches.
  • The main ticket office is located on the east side of McAlister Field House.

View: Mobile | Desktop